Self Catering Accommodation
27-29 Chamberlain Street
St. Eugene’s Cathedral is the Mother Church of the Derry Diocese, which stretches from Malin Head to Omagh and from Killygordon to Bellaghy.
Built to the designs of JJ McCarthy in 1873 in a sparse Gothic style, this is a prime example of the many churches and monasteries in Northern Ireland. The six-bay nave arcades are supported on octagonal shafts, with a clerestory, aisles and a short chancel flanked by north and south side chapels.
The Grotto was erected in the grounds of the Cathedral in 1928 in memory of Bishop Charles McHugh (1907-1926) because of his great devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes, and to commemorate the fact that he inaugurated the first Irish National Pilgrimage to Lourdes in 1912.
The cathedral is a popular place to see in Derry City on European Heritage Open Days
Address: St. Eugenes Cathedral Derry City, Francis Street, Derry, Co. Londonderry Northern Ireland